I know pancake Tuesday is not until March 4th but I think it is all the more reason to practice! This is the best recipe to give you light, fluffy American style pancakes. I will do a gluten free version nearer Shrove Tuesday too…
100g plain flour/spelt white
2 tsp baking powder
1 free rang egg
1 tsp. maple syrup or ½ tsp xylitol
125ml Arrabawn Skim Milk
- 1. Sieve your flour, cornflour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in your egg, syrup and half the milk and beat either by hand or with an electric mixer until a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining milk and continue to beat well until smooth.
- You can leave it to sit or make the night before but it will thicken so add another drop of milk to loosen the batter.
- Cook on a hot griddle or heavy pan with brush of either olive or rapeseed oil. Pour in 3” blobs. Cook to light brown on one side, flip finish and serve hot.
- Sometimes I mash a banana and mix it with the batter and use or sprinkle in some blueberries/strawberries or raspberries as some as the batter is in the pan, then flip and finish.
*Use agave or maple syrup as they are lower on the glycaemic index and minimally processed.