Baked Rice Pudding
I know the weather is picking up but you can't beat a good rice pudding any day of the week. My mother always had a pot ready on the stove for us when we came in from school. It was so warming.
50g Rice(short or wholegrain)
50g coconut palm sugar*
Â½ litre Arrabawn Skim Plus
Â½ teaspoon ground cinnamon+
A pinch of grated nutmeg
2-3 drops vanilla extract(or a fresh split pod)
1 teaspoon raw cacao powder/cocoa(optional)
- Wash the rice and place in a pie dish.
- Add sugar and milk, mix well.
- Add vanilla, cacao and spices.
- Clean the rim of the pie dish and bake at 180-200F until the milk starts simmering.
- Reduce the heat to 160F and cook slowly over 1.5-2hours until the rice is very soft.
- You could at this point sprinkle with some more coconut palm sugar and grill until golden to give it a crÃ¨me brulee style crunchy topping if you like.
- I serve mine with baked plums or stewed apple puree.